Sunday, March 18, 2012

Bountiful Basket


I've only gotten a bountiful basket a couple times, but I love the concept. You get a variety of produce at a supposedly reduced cost. A great way to vary your veggies, find new fruit, and hopefully save some money. However, I'm curious to know if buying a bountiful basket is really saving money, so I am taking inventory of what I got today and comparing it to how much it would be to buy the exact same thing and  local grocery store today.


My Basket
1 bunch green onions
1 head romaine lettuce 
1 head pretty purple leafy thing 
1# carrots
5# ruesset potatoes 
2 english cucumbers
1 head green cabbage
8 oranges
5 tomatoes
9 bananas 
1 spaghetti squash
3# granny smith apples 
Total: $16.50

Certainly not the most exciting or exotic basket I've ever gotten, but I'm still excited to have all this fresh produce to use and the challenge of thinking of things to make with it before it goes bad. 



Local Grocery Store
1 bunch green onions $.059
1 head romain lettuce $0.99
1 head flowering kale (not offered at store, but regular kale was $1.79)
1# carrots $0.79
5# russet potatoes (on sale) $1.99
2 english cucumbers $2.00
1 head cabbage $0.66
8 oranges $4.14
5 tomatoes $3.00
9 bananas $3.10
1 spaghetti squash $6.00
3# granny smith apples $3.27
Total: $28.32

Total Savings: $11.82

I'm pretty happy with my bountiful basket. It definitely saves money and it encourages me to try new things or things I wouldn't normally buy, like oranges for example. To figure out what to I looked up different ways to eat oranges and I think I have some pretty successful ideas. We'll see how it goes. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you measured it out and found out the savings! I just ordered one today!!!!!! I'm excited to figure out new things to do:)

    ReplyDelete